A typical MPEG meeting lasts for one week.
It starts on Monday at 9:00 with a Plenary session. Purpose of the session is:
- to have a presentation of National Body contributions
- to have a presentation of work done by the ad-hoc groups since the last meeting
- to agree on the goals for the week
- to agree on the first few joint meetings whose need the Convenor and the Chairs have identified at the coordination meeting on Sunday.
The session usually lasts all morning. Starting from Monday afternoon each of the MPEG groups begin their own activities.
On Monday 18:00-20:00 the Convenor meets with the Heads of National Delegations (HoD). This meeting addresses matters of general interest, considers documents originating from National Bodies that cannot be addressed by the technical groups, proposes meeting schedules etc.
Work by the technical groups continues during all Tuesday. On that day 18:00-19:00 the Liaison group meets.
On Wednesday morning a two-hour plenary session starts at 9:00. Purpose of this plenary is
- to hear a progress report from each of the groups
- to discuss major technical issues arising from the reports
- to agree on the other joint meetings whose need the Convenor and the Chairs have identified at the coordination meeting on Tuesday evening.
Work in the subgroups resumes at 11:00 and continues until Friday at 14:00. At that time the last plenary session starts. Purpose of this plenary is:
- to hear the full report from each of the groups. Often the groups go in rather deep detail of some of their technical choices
- to approve the text of the resolutions of the groups and general resolutions reading them one by one
- to set up ad hoc groups with the task to continue the work until the next meeting.
The Friday plenary usually lasts until 20:00.